The house on Wiesenstraße 6, alike Frankfurter Str. 59, has fallen into the hands of our association in 1997 for 66 years under the standards of a building lease contract with the state of Hessen.
It has three apartments that host 12 students. Each apartment has living space of 104.74 m². The whole building was fundamentally renovated in 1997.
The comparatively low rents are only possible by the voluntary dedication of the inhabitants. They are responsible for maintenance and management of their own living space. The house is ten minutes from the market place and bus stations – there is nothing more central in Gießen.
Basic information about the project:
- Connection to the long distance heating of the city
- installation of a thermal solar panel
- installation of a rain water utilization facility
- insulation on the inside of the outer walls
- Conversion to cooking gas
- controlled ventilation with moisture regulated inlet air elements in all window frames
- shared washing machine with connection to the thermal solar panel
- natural gas powered shared dryer for cloths. (SWH had been installing the first ones and for a long time the only ones of that kind.)
- low maintenance management structures through integration of members in the cultivation of the estate.
- monthly rotation of responsibilities like monitoring, cleaning and maintenance between shared flats.
- the carried out house service is rewarded with a 10% refund of the net rent
- technical support by an external engineer’s office
- yearly or seasonly returning assignments: Subbotnik
- numerous self oranized elements make members feel part of the project and identify themselves with “our house”
- reoccuring meetings between flat mates promote the internal exchange
- The contracts for the shared apartments are tailored for the specific needs of the inhabitants of each flat. ( i.e. staggered notice period)